M98 / Hornady Factory Ammo Stuck Cases!

Medium Caliber, Bolt Action Precision Rifle

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

BenTerrible

M98 / Hornady Factory Ammo Stuck Cases!

Postby BenTerrible » Mon 18 Feb, 2013 8:35 am

Took the Barrett M98 out to fire for the first time. Rifle is NIB. Chamber and bore are immaculate. Running Hornady 285gr and Hornady 250gr ammunition. This rifle has not seen a reload yet.

Fired first round, went to extract and the case was stuck. Wound up pushing the case out with a cleaning rod. I could barely rotate the bolt, no way was it going to extract the case once rotated though.

I am a bit concerned, considering this is a brand new rifle. I have read many articles with Hornady ammo cases being to soft near the base of the cartridge. Many of the savage 338 rifles had this same problem with cases becoming stuck.

I have contacted Hornady and sent in a box of ammunition per their request for lab testing. I would like to try Lapua ammo, still searching for a few rounds to purchase to be sure this is an ammo problem, not a rifle problem.

Anybody have this issues with the M98?
shotgun
Favorite Firearm: M82A-1 and Desert Eagle
Favorite Ammo: Home cooked 750A-max

Re: M98 / Hornady Factory Ammo Stuck Cases!

Postby shotgun » Tue 19 Feb, 2013 2:54 pm

Wish I had a 98B to try it on! I do have a Savage110BA in .338LM I broke her in with the Hornaday 285 match loads(cheapest .338LM ammo I could find) I noticed a few tough extractions. When I started working up a load for her(handloading) I was using the spent Hornady cases and bought some new Hornady brass so I could do an entire range of powder charges and bullets in one range session. I had 300gr SMK's and 300gr Berger hybrids for my bullets. Halfway up to my highest charge weight the cases were getting stuck same as yours, With no other signs of over pressure the chrony was only reading around 2500fps.I had heard the same thing about Hornady brass as you had. I pony-upped for 100 rds of lapua brass(300.00) and started over. I was able to get all the way through my batteries with both bullets with no signs of over pressure at all. At the top loads the chrony was reading almost 2900fps. Lapua ammo and brass is very expensive to shoot, But I will not use anything else from now on. When I do get my 98B I will break her in with Lapua factory ammo!
"What part of Shall not be infringed don't you understand ?"
tommygun
NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: MRAD
Favorite Ammo: Hornady

Postby tommygun » Tue 19 Feb, 2013 3:03 pm

I have a 98B also and some some trouble with a few rounds of the 285 grn hornady ammo also , the 250 grn runs fine
BenTerrible

Postby BenTerrible » Tue 19 Feb, 2013 8:50 pm

I sent a box of the ammo back to Hornady last week for further analysis. Should hear back any day now. I did find a few boxes of Lapua ammo, 300gr scenars. A little pricey, near $10 a round.

I will post the results from Hornady as soon as I hear back.

Thanks for all the input/replies!

-BT
rosso4re@aol.com
Favorite Firearm: 82A1 and 98B

Postby rosso4re@aol.com » Sat 23 Feb, 2013 9:23 am

Have only used 250gr commercial ammo, maybe 300 rounds IIRC without checking log. Some Remington but mostly Hornady, no problems.
Please post your follow-up
BenTerrible

Postby BenTerrible » Tue 07 Jan, 2014 1:58 am

Very late follow up with this...

The Hornady ammunition was in fact the cause for the failure to extract. Hornady did return my phone calls and asked me to ship my ammunition back, even the spent cases. A few days later I received another phone call from Hornady with confirmation that all of the cases were too soft. The fix, throw out the Hornady and buy Lapua. Since the switch to Lapua I have had absolutely zero issues with the rifle. Round count as of today is just shy of 100.

I haven't had much time these past months to run the gun, but I do plan on making range time for it this year. Last week I spent some time re-positioning my optic, then found my zero. With factory Lapua 300gr scenars and a whobbly shooting bench/stool, I managed a group of 4 just under .600". Not bad for dusting this thing off and going for it. I imagine much better results if fired from a prone position. I truly believe this is a 1/2 minute rifle...perhaps better with some cartridge tuning.
shotgun

Postby shotgun » Tue 07 Jan, 2014 2:08 pm

Nice! Better late than never, I guess Hornady just casts their brass soft. Great company mostly good products, just stay away from their brass.Almost all of my 5.56 loads use Hornady V-max bullets, the only exception is my 1000yd loads with 69g Sierra matchkings . Nice shooting with your 98B I think it will definitely improve with load development (and a steady position). Midway had Lapua .338LM brass on closeout last month 236.00/100, I bought 2(wish I could have afforded more at that price) .So did Hornady offer to replace the Brass/ammo? you could use it as trading stock to a light loading cheap rifle having hunter(lol). I love the caliber, but any of the quality rifles chambered in it are way too heavy for me to be packing around in the mountains. I will stick with my Model 70 sporter in .338WinMag.
:cheer:
shotgun

Postby shotgun » Wed 08 Jan, 2014 2:22 pm

I have not tried any, if you don't reload and they shoot(group) well it sounds like a bargain! If you do load your own, you can build a round with Lapua brass and a quality bullet for about the same price. I don't think you can ever reach a rifle's true potential with any factory ammo, but some people don't have the time to do what it takes to work up a load and then produce the desired quantity of ammo. So they must make do with what is available on the shelf . My best friend has aJP enterprise .308AR(very nice rifle BTW) and doesn't load. He shoots Fed GMM 175 and groups .5 to .75 moa. He is completely satisfied, and when he finds 200lot on sale, he pays around 1.50/rd. I load for my Panther LR308 and it shoots .1-.3 MOA my cost with all new components is < 1.00/rd. I spend more time at the loading bench than I do behind the rifle, he has his ready to shoot ammo delivered to his doorstep. To each-his own. What is baffling to me is how the .338LM round uses far less materials than the .50BMG and costs more? Maybe S and D ? It is good to see that there are more companies out there starting to produce the .338LM and more distributors in competition to sell them, I think that might bring prices down, and if the ammo prices fall the component prices should follow. That is until the next"event", but that is another story... :cheer:
sib1948
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: DTA SRS A1
Favorite Ammo: 260 Rem 140gr. Berger BT

Postby sib1948 » Wed 15 Jan, 2014 5:56 am

HSM in 300gr Senar BTHP works well and has Lalua brass, which is great for those of us who reload! :cheer:
shotgun

Postby shotgun » Wed 15 Jan, 2014 10:24 pm

That is awesome and good to know! :cheer:

Return to “Model 98B”