98B Cleaning Advice.

Medium Caliber, Bolt Action Precision Rifle

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

rosso4re@aol.com
NRA Member: yes
Favorite Firearm: 82A1 and 98B

98B Cleaning Advice.

Postby rosso4re@aol.com » Fri 07 Dec, 2012 8:12 pm

Looking for advice/ comments on cleaning and re-oiling the portion of the 98B barrel under the upper receiver.
Also, my practice is to use Barrett Bore Cleaner / wipe dry/ wipe with oily (Rem oil) rag the bolt guides when cleaning after shooting.
Civilian use target shooting, not combat use in dusty sandy environment.
Your thoughts, please.

Dan
RangeRat
Military: yes
Carry Permit: yes

Re: 98B Cleaning Advice.

Postby RangeRat » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 7:41 am

For cleaning the barrel under the receiver I first use my air compressor and blow out all the debris. This will also make sure that there is no moisture. I then put a drop of oil in each vent hole, then using my compressor again I lightly blow air into each hole , thereby helping the oil spread into all the little nooks and crannies. This seems to be the easiest way I have found. If you want to clean it out thoroughly you can use a product like gun scrubber to clean it out first but make sure you re-oil it. I hope this helps.
Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.
rosso4re@aol.com
Favorite Firearm: 82A1 and 98B

Postby rosso4re@aol.com » Thu 13 Dec, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks much.
Any and all advice appreciated.
Merry Christmas (and tight groups).

Dan H
Fiddler's Green
Active Poster
Favorite Firearm: M-28 Davy Crockett

Postby Fiddler's Green » Thu 20 Dec, 2012 11:03 am

Hey guys,
While reading through this thread, I noticed something that you might want to consider. When air is compressed in most air compressors, the moisture is 'squeezed' out and condenses in the tank, where it usually sits until it rusts through the tank or gets sucked down the discharge with the compressed air. If you don't believe me, most good compressor tanks have a valve or plug at the lowest point; from an unpressurized tank, open the valve and then turn on the compressor for a little while. If you haven't done this for awhile, the results will scare you.
So before you take that air nozzle to your mega-buck Barrett, consider investing a few dollars into either an inline dessicant/filter or a separator. One source is is Harbor Freight Tools (support China!); be advised that HF amends their product line frequently, so the link may not be correct by next week.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog/pr ... egory/426/

The air nozzle is also a great way to dry the nooks and crannies on your motorcycle after a bath!

Fiddler
RangeRat

Postby RangeRat » Wed 09 Jan, 2013 6:24 am

Fiddler is correct. Little details like water in the air system can cause big trouble. I have always had a minimum of a filter and moisture trap on my systems. An air dryer works best, though I doubt many want the extra expense for a home compressor.
Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.

Return to “Model 98B”