Model 99 Trigger Question

Single Shot Rifle

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

freddy979
Poster

Model 99 Trigger Question

Postby freddy979 » Tue 26 Oct, 2010 7:31 pm

I was at the range shooting the 99 when I noticed that my trigger was not as smooth throughout it's travel as it normally is. I took the trigger assembly off of the gun to look at it and all appears well, but it seems like there is dirt or rust in the mechanism (Sear Pivot) that is causing it to bind up. It is hard to explain unless you pull the trigger. I sprayed a bunch of gun scrubber in there to take out any debris and then re-lubricated. It feels a little better, but still not the same. Hopefully, a good deep cleaning is all I need.

Anybody else experience this?
Barrett Model 99 32" FDE .50 BMG
Hognuts
Valued Member

Re: Model 99 Trigger Question

Postby Hognuts » Wed 27 Oct, 2010 9:03 pm

I do not profess to be an expert in this area, but I had a problem with my trigger pin "walking out" on my 99. When I had it apart to loctite the pin back in place I took some 1200 grit and polished up some "rough spots" on my trigger mechanism. Now that I have it put back together my trigger is much smoother. A couple of friends that I shoot with here locally who have 99's that are factory have a much stiffer trigger pull than mine. (I did not go crazy with the 1200 grit, simply polished up a few areas that seemed to be a little rough) :cheer:
freddy979
Poster

Postby freddy979 » Thu 28 Oct, 2010 7:32 am

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll try that this weekend. What is going on with my trigger is hard to explain. It feels like one trigger pull is smooth while the next binds halfway through. You can imagine what that does to my groups at just 100 yards. The trigger was perfect prior to the hydro dipping I had done a few months back. The inconsistant trigger is bugging the hell out of me.

I'll break it down completely, clean it, and polish the surfaces

I may adjust the trigger overtravel screws while I'm at it.
vegas
Active Poster

Postby vegas » Sat 30 Oct, 2010 7:33 pm

I know exactly what you talking about the the inconsistent trigger pull. Out of the 3x 99 that Hog is talking about mine is far and away the worst of the group. Im not to familiar with the inner workings of the trigger so i have just delt with it the best i can, but i would love to get a clean consistent break.
Bushmaster XM15
Savage 223 bolt
Rem 700 .308
6.5 Creedmoor w/ ACIS 2.0
DPMS 308 LR
Barrett 99
Keltec p32
freddy979
Poster

Postby freddy979 » Sat 30 Oct, 2010 8:30 pm

I had a smooth pull until I had it dipped in water for the hydrographic ATACS camo job. There has to be a way to dissolve any rust or deposits to get my sweet trigger back. He just coated the outer part, but the whole assembly was dipped.

Return to “Model 99”