My Hydrographic Camo Project: A-TACS Model 99

Single Shot Rifle

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

freddy979
Poster

My Hydrographic Camo Project: A-TACS Model 99

Postby freddy979 » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 6:03 pm

I am about half way through my Barrett Model 99 A-TACS camo job. I finished the scope rings, Leupold Mark 4, pistol grip, and trigger guard. I have my rifle completely apart except for the barrel and receiver for refinishing. The local (metro area) shop I am using has experience with the Model 99 and other 50 cal rifles so they are doing a great job.

I spoke to the shop owner about finishing the last part of my project, the receiver and barrel, and he told me that they have to be seperated before he can refinish them. (Now he tells me...) He suggested a shop that has done this for him in the past.

I have a number of concerns about this recent development:

1. The possibility of damage or loss of accuracy due to this procedure.

2. The loss of factory warranty for taking the rifle down beyond a basic field strip.

3. The added cost and time.

It kind of sucks that I found this out after all my other parts have this cool camo pattern and my rifle doesn't. I wish I would have asked more questions before I got this far into it.

Do you guys think that the factory would take the barrel off for me and ship it back here for refinish, then put it back together for me? I really don't want to pay the shipping, but it may be worth the piece of mind knowing that people that know what they are doing are working on it. I just don't want my rifle to get "Bubba'd'' up by a local gunsmith. :ohno: (If there was a fire in my house, I would save my Barrett before my pets...)

Thoughts?

Pics will be posted when I get back into town.
Barrett Model 99 32" FDE .50 BMG
darksoldier300
Board Veteran
Favorite Firearm: 82a1 allways will be

Re: My Hydrographic Camo Project: A-TACS Model 99

Postby darksoldier300 » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 6:08 pm

problem is the 99's barrel is hydrolicly(spelling) pressed into the reciever....im not even sure you can remove, call barrett and talk with tech support
hope for the best prepare for the worst
freddy979
Poster

Postby freddy979 » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 6:21 pm

He said another customer of his had it done before.

When he told me I had to take my Barrett apart I just stared at him like he had just stomped on my puppy...
Barrett Model 99 32" FDE .50 BMG
Frank in GA
Poster

You're kidding right???

Postby Frank in GA » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 10:16 pm

I wouldn't even give it a thought...it wouldn't be an option. Tell him to do it assembled or not at all, that should have been disclosed in the begining of the contract.

If another company does it and all he does is the camo and when you get it back who are you going to hold responsible if the worst happens? I'm quite sure this procedue would void any warranty that Barrett would honor prior to the disassembly.

Tell him to do the best he can with it assembled or not at all. Just my opinion.

BTW if this is a dip process technique then it's not required to disassemble the firearm that far. I think someone is fishing for more $$$ because it's a high $$$ firearm which is why he started with all the other things first.
freddy979
Poster

Postby freddy979 » Wed 07 Jul, 2010 11:35 pm

Frank,

Thanks for your advice. You and I are on the same page. It didn't sound right. I'll bring in the barrel and receiver assembly to show him so we can figure out a better way.

I should have brought the whole thing in to show him and should have asked more questions. He did a great job on my Mark 4 and Barrett rings. He told me that there is a local place in North Kansas City that can do the gunsmithing, but I won't even bother though. The thought just makes me shudder...

It looks like the difficult part would be where the barrel is enclosed by a few inches by the front of the receiver.
Barrett1
NRA Member: yes
Favorite Firearm: Whatever is in my hands.

Postby Barrett1 » Thu 08 Jul, 2010 9:33 am

From the Warranty Dept:

"If someone else removes the barrel, then the warranty is void.

I agree that if it is a dip process, then they should be able to do it assembled as we had one done in the past. We could disassemble and reassemble the rifle, but you run the risk of damaging the finish and if the contact points are coated, then you end up with a tighter fit and that will require more force to reinstall."

Return to “Model 99”