The Heat

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

Koched
Active Poster
Favorite Firearm: 98B
Favorite Ammo: Lapua 300g HPBT

Venturing into reloading.

Postby Koched » Sat 05 Jan, 2013 5:57 pm

Hey guys, my New Years resolution is to get into reloading. Can you guys point me in the right direction as to the best equipment money can buy to meet all my needs? I want to reload for my 98B and also want to do .223.

Thanks in advance!
Shadow
Continuing Member
NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Re: Venturing into reloading.

Postby Shadow » Sat 05 Jan, 2013 7:42 pm

Koched wrote:Hey guys, my New Years resolution is to get into reloading. Can you guys point me in the right direction as to the best equipment money can buy to meet all my needs? I want to reload for my 98B and also want to do .223.

Thanks in advance!

I've never reloaded, nor sat around and learned from anyone, so I don't know squat about what is the best reloading equipment setup. While a lot more expensive, I've shot millions of factory rounds, cuz they were provided to me, or I always had access to good factory ammo at bargain prices.

Now......... Larry, being in the business (for a long time) has published a lot of info. and is a person who's recommendations are worthy of consideration. Since he sells "it all", he'd likely give you some good recommentations. I'd suggest going to his site and read ALL the info. he has published. Take some notes, etc. and then get a reloading manual, before actually deciding on, or buying any equipment.

Check out Larry's site:

http://www.midwayusa.com/general.mvc/index/AppCharts~guide-beginning-reloader

If you get some good recommendations for others on this forum, that's a plus also. If it's seems too conflicting, give Larry (at Midway) a call; explain to him (or his rep.), what you want to do and ask them to make up a suggested equipment list for you. Just saying.... :det:

Good luck..

Edit..... I forgot, you're in Australia, you may be able to get the "equipment" locally at a cheaper price. Anyway, the extra reading won't do any harm..
ImageImageImageImage
legend82
Military: yes

Postby legend82 » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 2:15 am

Koched wrote:Hey guys, my New Years resolution is to get into reloading. Can you guys point me in the right direction as to the best equipment money can buy to meet all my needs? I want to reload for my 98B and also want to do .223.

Thanks in advance!

Check out AR15.com....armory section, scroll down to the reloading forum,"TONS" of info. Join the site and post questions,you will get "LOTS" of help. Iv'e been a member there since 2004. HTH
Koched
Active Poster
Favorite Firearm: 98B
Favorite Ammo: Lapua 300g HPBT

Postby Koched » Thu 24 Jan, 2013 12:34 am

Thanks guys! Looks like I've got some reading to do.
Think_Again

Postby Think_Again » Thu 24 Jan, 2013 7:00 am

I reload all the time. A lot of it is personal preference. For me I have just a single stange press, Nothing fancy, or overly expensive. IMO a press is a press. I also reload for accuracy, and not volume. I may load 1-200 at a time, but measuring each and every round. For handgun I feel that progressive presses get you good enough accuracy with a lot better yeild of bullets. (Some clame 600 an hour.) But the set up is long and tedious. (Most of these presses stay set up from what I have seen.)

So personally, I think you can get into it with a good starter set. It isn't rocket science, you just need to pay attention to what you are doing. If you have questions as to how... I'll see if I can answer them.
sib1948
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: DTA SRS A1
Favorite Ammo: 260 Rem 140gr. Berger BT

Postby sib1948 » Sun 27 Jan, 2013 6:38 am

Just bought Hornaday equipment to start loading 45 ACP, 308 & 338. Ammo very scarce and even reloading supplies in short supply at times. Need to stock up on ammo while we can. Who knows how far the LIBS will try to stuff this weapons ban thing down our throats. Not sure I can tolerate 4 more years of this s***t. What has happened to basic common sense values over the last decade or so? Work ethic is dead and everyone wants something for nothing. Truly sad state of affairs.

Return to “.338 Ammo”