Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

Koched
Active Poster
Favorite Firearm: 98B
Favorite Ammo: Lapua 300g HPBT

Lapua ammo for my 98B???

Postby Koched » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 7:32 pm

Hey guys,

I'm new to my 98B and have only put 40 rounds of Hornady ammo through. I want to get into the Lapua ammo and wonder what other people use and have had great success with? Should I go for -
.338 Lapua Mag Lock Base 250gr
or
.338 Lapua Mag Scenar 250gr
or
.338 Lapua Mag Naturalis 235gr

Or do I just got nuts and buy all 3??????
tommygun
NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: MRAD
Favorite Ammo: Hornady

Re: Lapua ammo for my 98B???

Postby tommygun » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:07 pm

Keep in mind buying different bullet weights , the rifle will shoot a little different , maybe high or low , on what yardage you have it sighted in for , if on at 100 yards with horndy 250 grn , it will be low with 230 grns shooting at the same distance ,
Koched
Active Poster

Postby Koched » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 10:05 pm

I knew this would be the case, just wondering what other people have had a lot of success with - I would then just buy 1 type of round and stick to it.
Shadow
Continuing Member
Law Enforcement: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Postby Shadow » Thu 10 Jun, 2010 11:52 pm

Koched wrote:I knew this would be the case, just wondering what other people have had a lot of success with - I would then just buy 1 type of round and stick to it.

Well, not quite.....First you need to figure out which actually shoots better for your specific rifle. Factory Ammo should work quite well and there are less variables to deal with. After all, this is a battle rifle - not a benchrest rifle. It'll still shoot better than 1MOA, however.....

IMO - I'd get about twenty rounds (each) of just the:
.338LM Scenar 300gr; AND
.338LM Scenar 250gr

After getting a rough zero with your scope (which should take about 3 rounds).

Shoot 10 of each for groups..... I'd suggest shooting at 200yds, but if you only have a 100yd range, that'll be OK.

Clean rifle bore after shooting the first group (of 10) of one type (at a single target), then shoot 10 of the other at a new target for a second 10 round group.

Don't worry too much on how close to your POA (point of aim) the rounds are impacting on the target - just take your time and see how tightly the rounds group. Remember, AIM Small - MISS Small.... :cheer:

After shooting both the 300g and 250g and analyzing your two target groups, you'll likely be able to tell which round shoots best in your rifle. :det:

The 98B has a 1:10 twist, so I'd guess the 300g LM Scenars may shoot a little better. But, each rifle is a little different. I personally prefer the 250s, but my rifle has a 1:12 twist....

Anyway, THEN..... you can shoot the rest of ammo to fine tune your scope adjustments/setup, where POI = POA.

BTW - If your rounds impact all over the place, I'd guess it's the operator and not the rifle/ammo. Just saying... :drill:
ImageImageImageImage
Koched
Active Poster

Postby Koched » Sat 11 Sep, 2010 6:04 pm

So after my 3rd trip to the range and after trying 4 different types of ammo I have decided on the Lapua 250gr Scenar HPBT. These seemed to be the most consistent for me. I tried the Hornady 250gr, Black Hills 250gr (which grouped quite well also but I think there are 2 boxes left in my country, so no use in sticking to that round!) & the Lapua 250gr Lock Base (seemed to be all over the shop!)

So I'm off to mortgage the house and sell a kidney so I can buy 100 rounds from the same batch and stick to it!
flyjets
Favorite Firearm: 1874 Sharps
Favorite Ammo: Lapua

Postby flyjets » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 5:46 pm

As a general rule the heavier Bullets track better at long Distance.

Long Distance is 600 and up.

My preference is for the 300 grain Lapua Senar Bullets.

I have a 1/10 twist and 27" barrel.

Ian
Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
Koched
Active Poster

Postby Koched » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks for the info Ian. How have you found the 300gr between 100 & 600? Reason I ask is that I can't by loaded 300gr here. I would have to reload them myself and as yet I don't the equipment to do so. I really want to try and stick to one multi-purpose round if possible...
flyjets
Favorite Firearm: 1874 Sharps
Favorite Ammo: Lapua

Postby flyjets » Sun 12 Sep, 2010 10:19 pm

Koched

I have only shot my 338 Lapua in a handful of matches simply because the recoil doesn't allow me to stay on Target and see the impacts consistently.

When I have shot it at 600 yards I didn't notice much of a difference between the 300gr and the 250gr at this distance both performed very well under .3MOA.

Shooting 1000 yards I notice a bigger difference between the 250gr vs the 300gr with the 300gr being more consistent keeping the .3 to .4 MOA vs an average of .7 to .08 MOA on the 250gr.

Sierra 338 HPBT have Meplats that will require trimming if you want best accuracy.

Ian
Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
jakhunter

Postby jakhunter » Tue 30 Nov, 2010 5:45 pm

I also just bought a 98B, Don't know how to start my own post. Maybe I can get a response here, Why do some manufacturers make Lead Free Ammo, should I be shooting this in my rifle? Thanks
sib1948
Favorite Firearm: DTA SRS A1
Favorite Ammo: 260 Rem 140gr. Berger BT

Postby sib1948 » Thu 12 Jul, 2012 7:44 am

I would think lead free ammo is more for indoor ranges, which is where I have been shooting until I purchased my MRAD. The indoor range where I shoot has state of the art ventilation equipment, but two employees who serviced the air filters and at least one frequent shooter were found to have high blood levels, so I test my blood lead level yearly. Also I have heard that the 5.7X28 SS195LF (lead free) rounds I shoot in my FN FiveSeven pistol has a shorter shelf life than regular ammo due to the lead free primers. However, I have had no issues yet after one year of storage.
zinger
Favorite Firearm: Barrett 98B
Favorite Ammo: Hornady Match HPBT, 285 gr,

Postby zinger » Sun 16 Sep, 2012 4:50 pm

I've thrown over 360 rounds thru my 98B, usually 10-20 rounds per setting, cleaning the barrel after each setting and have found Hornady Match HPBT 285 gr. works flawlessly at long distance (ie: 750 & 1,000 yards). I've got a Nightforce NXS scope 8x32 with barrett ex-rings. The gun is a Tac driver at 1,000 yards with sub 1/2 MOA accuracy! I absolutely love this gun!

I also have a magnetospeed chronograph to ensure accurate mussel velocity speeds as the factory ballistics on the box tend to understate the ft/sec. speed by approximately 30 feet/second. I know this may not sound much but when shooting long range you need to be as accurate as possible. Many small variances can accumulate to a large miss. Another important note: Be sure to let your barrel cool. I never shoot more than 3 groups without taking a 10 min. break.
sib1948
Favorite Firearm: DTA SRS A1
Favorite Ammo: 260 Rem 140gr. Berger BT

Postby sib1948 » Sat 20 Oct, 2012 7:36 am

Barrel cleaning has always been a hot topic on most other precision rifle forums. After hours of reading various opinions, the consensus seems to be that frequent cleaning (especially aggressive cleaning such as abrasive cleaners) will shorten barrel life. I use Bore Tech Eliminator on patches with brass free jags and occasional nylon brushing with bore guide, avoiding the crown. I think the Barrett labeled cleaner is from Bore Tech. If barrel seasoned right, will get little copper fouling. I now only clean when accuracy starts to fall off or if my gun will be stored for prolonged period. I do shoot at least 1-2 times per week. Over 250 rounds through my custom Rem 700r 308 since my last cleaning and groups still at 0.5 MOA as long as I do my part. Just my opinion and I know many others may disagree, but has worked well for me.

Return to “.338 Ammo”