An overlooked accessory when shooting the 50?

Everything Else

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

DukeNukem
Poster
Favorite Firearm: G22 - carried daily since '92

An overlooked accessory when shooting the 50?

Postby DukeNukem » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 4:52 pm

(withdrawn)
Last edited by DukeNukem on Thu 01 Oct, 2009 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth."
--Ronald Reagan
Shadow
Continuing Member
NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Re: An overlooked accessory when shooting the 50

Postby Shadow » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 8:48 pm

Hmmmm - withdrawn... Well, it still never occurred to me. :(
Last edited by Shadow on Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Samurai
Site Admin
Favorite Firearm: FN LAR Paratrooper
Favorite Ammo: 7.62 mm

Postby Samurai » Sat 26 Sep, 2009 12:23 pm

They don't kick that hard. No more than using a shotgun,
and you never see shotgunners wearing mouthpieces.

IMO, I don't believe they are necessary.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

People think I'm paranoid because I own guns.
If I own guns, what do I have to be paranoid about?

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"
is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".

SEMPER FI

DukeNukem
Poster

Postby DukeNukem » Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:28 am

You're absolutely right in that it's not necessary. That's why I posted it here in "Accessories." By definition, an accessory is something that is not necessary and may not even serve a useful purpose. However, to avoid any futher confusion, I've withdrawn the information that I posted.
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on Earth."
--Ronald Reagan
Shadow
Continuing Member

Postby Shadow » Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:42 pm

DukeNukem wrote:......, to avoid any futher confusion, I've withdrawn the information that I posted.

Why'd ya do that??

Are you upset at what was posted??

:o
ImageImageImageImage
DukeNukem
Poster

Postby DukeNukem » Mon 28 Sep, 2009 8:15 pm

(withdrawn)
Last edited by DukeNukem on Thu 01 Oct, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Ronald Reagan
Shadow
Continuing Member

Postby Shadow » Tue 29 Sep, 2009 5:03 pm

I know what you mean. First time I shot my 99, the recoil blew the scope covers completely off. I just thought - WTF just happened? - then realized the covers were obviously not quite the right size. Good thing I had a good grip and proper cheek weld.

Although - the 99 doesn't actually recoil as violently as a couple of other rifles I have - it's just a different type of recoil.
:roll:
ImageImageImageImage
christopher
Poster

Postby christopher » Wed 30 Sep, 2009 7:00 am

in the last two years that ive been in afghanistan ive never seen anyone use a mouthpiece. It does have a practical purpose, but youre also preventing yourself from communicating which is more important. I dont think ive ever come close to damaging my teeth from the recoil of any weapon.
DukeNukem
Poster

Postby DukeNukem » Thu 01 Oct, 2009 12:59 pm

I used to go to photography forums on the internet to seek help and offer opinions on things that might prove helpful to some people. And yes, sometimes it was out of the box thinking. And lot of the time, I got responses that were critical of information that was just meant to be a helpful suggestion that worked for me.

Among other things, I travel the country taking photographs as I go from one nuke site to the next. I have very large cameras & lenses with lots of equipment, so people often take notice and strike up a conversation with me just out of the blue. Many times they quickly descend into telling me that the Canon equipment that I shoot with isn't as good as the Nikon stuff that they own. They tell me how that my camera lens that I'm shooting with isn't as versatile as theirs and that if I have to change lenses, it gets dust in the camera. I don't tell them that I have three more cameras in the car just like this one with three different lenses on them so I don't have to make a lens change. Afterward, they usually end with, "It was nice talking to you" because through it all, I was nice to them and didn't try to argue or contradict their unsolicited opinions.

I didn't think the Barrett forum would end up being a bit like the photography forums. I guess anonymity offers a broad choice of responses to someone just trying to be helpful with an idea.

Christopher - thank you for your service to our country. When you become a civilian, if you have trouble finding work, look me up. If you don't mind travel, I might be able to help. Although I've never found anyone a job from this forum, it hasn't been from a lack of trying.

So anyway, the next time someone comes up to me to bad mouth my choice in cameras, I'll just smile...with a full set of teeth of course.
--Ronald Reagan
christopher
Poster

Re: An overlooked accessory when shooting the 50?

Postby christopher » Fri 02 Oct, 2009 12:55 am

Actually im over here as a civilian, but im heading back to modern civilisation in a few weeks. Hopefully ill be able to get my studio set up again and start doing work part time. Debating on shelling out the cash for a 400 2.8. Canon of course :cheer:
Samurai
Site Admin
Favorite Firearm: FN LAR Paratrooper
Favorite Ammo: 7.62 mm

Postby Samurai » Sat 03 Oct, 2009 2:52 pm

How do I edit or delete a poll?
As with posts, polls can only be edited by the original poster, a moderator or an administrator. To edit a poll, click to edit the first post in the topic; this always has the poll associated with it. If no one has cast a vote, users can delete the poll or edit any poll option. However, if members have already placed votes, only moderators or administrators can edit or delete it. This prevents the poll’s options from being changed mid-way through a poll.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

People think I'm paranoid because I own guns.
If I own guns, what do I have to be paranoid about?

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"
is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".

SEMPER FI

Ottomain989
Continuing Member
Favorite Firearm: Ruger 10/22
Favorite Ammo: CCI

Postby Ottomain989 » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 11:34 pm

DukeNukem wrote:I used to go to photography forums on the internet to seek help and offer opinions on things that might prove helpful to some people. And yes, sometimes it was out of the box thinking. And lot of the time, I got responses that were critical of information that was just meant to be a helpful suggestion that worked for me.

Among other things, I travel the country taking photographs as I go from one nuke site to the next. I have very large cameras & lenses with lots of equipment, so people often take notice and strike up a conversation with me just out of the blue. Many times they quickly descend into telling me that the Canon equipment that I shoot with isn't as good as the Nikon stuff that they own. They tell me how that my camera lens that I'm shooting with isn't as versatile as theirs and that if I have to change lenses, it gets dust in the camera. I don't tell them that I have three more cameras in the car just like this one with three different lenses on them so I don't have to make a lens change. Afterward, they usually end with, "It was nice talking to you" because through it all, I was nice to them and didn't try to argue or contradict their unsolicited opinions.

I didn't think the Barrett forum would end up being a bit like the photography forums. I guess anonymity offers a broad choice of responses to someone just trying to be helpful with an idea.

Christopher - thank you for your service to our country. When you become a civilian, if you have trouble finding work, look me up. If you don't mind travel, I might be able to help. Although I've never found anyone a job from this forum, it hasn't been from a lack of trying.

So anyway, the next time someone comes up to me to bad mouth my choice in cameras, I'll just smile...with a full set of teeth of course.

I am a photography student working towards a bachelors of science. i need a job.....
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i shall fear no evil; for next to GOD, I am the most Badass MotherF***** in the land.

"The unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much with so little that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."
SSG Twilly
298th Trans Co, Iraq 2006-2007
Ottomain989
Continuing Member
Favorite Firearm: Ruger 10/22
Favorite Ammo: CCI

Postby Ottomain989 » Sun 11 Oct, 2009 8:29 pm

did i kill this thread?
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, i shall fear no evil; for next to GOD, I am the most Badass MotherF***** in the land.

"The unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much with so little that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing."
SSG Twilly
298th Trans Co, Iraq 2006-2007
tbuck
Continuing Member

Postby tbuck » Mon 07 Dec, 2009 4:36 am

I know anyone that had to use a mouth piece in any sports event in school hates them, I have used them at work.If you have to get behind a rifle for several hours it can help you from clenching your teeth from stress and help you from getting head aches. Thanks for the reminder.

Return to “Other Accessories”