Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

Azuredeviljin
NRA Member: yes
Carry Permit: yes
Favorite Firearm: Rec7
Favorite Ammo: .338 Lapua

20" Rec7?

Postby Azuredeviljin » Sun 09 Dec, 2012 10:36 pm

I know i would want one, anyone else? i was thinking about buying another 5.56 upper and swapping the barrel out for a 20" one, but it just wouldn't be the same, wonder if Barrett will ever release a 20"
Shadow
Continuing Member
Military: yes
Law Enforcement: yes
Favorite Firearm: Any .50BMG Barrett
Favorite Ammo: API, of course

Re: 20" Rec7?

Postby Shadow » Mon 10 Dec, 2012 7:19 pm

Azuredeviljin wrote:I know i would want one, anyone else? i was thinking about buying another 5.56 upper and swapping the barrel out for a 20" one, but it just wouldn't be the same, wonder if Barrett will ever release a 20"

I'd call Barrett and specifically ask them... But.....

I kinda doubt it. The Rec7 is basically a medium range "battle rifle". With a 20" barrel, you'll only get a MV increase of about 200fps. Plus, the 20" barrel harmonics might be adverse (unless it's a fluted "bull" barrel). Personally, I don't think the extra 4" is worth it (meaning all the hassle, etc.).

If you're using your rifle for primarily hunting (as opposed to bench paper/gong shooting), I'd opine that the 16" barrel is the one to stick with - meaning the best compromise, re: length/weight/harmonics. And "hunting" shots (at "critters") over 750yds with the 5.56 are iffy for a number of reasons (mostly humane). If you do decide on a longer barrel, don't go over 20", cuz the MV will actually decrease after 20".

BTW - the original "Stoner" design for 5.56 was with a 20" barrel for the max. MV metric.
Just sayin
..... ;)
ImageImageImageImage
Azuredeviljin
Favorite Firearm: Rec7
Favorite Ammo: .338 Lapua

Postby Azuredeviljin » Tue 11 Dec, 2012 5:25 pm

Think they would make one if i request it?

I mainly want it for target shooting, 4" difference will be minimal, but its what i want. My main goal with it is really for more cosmetic reasons, make it look like a mini 82a1 to go along side with it.
gussiu
Military: yes
Favorite Firearm: Glock 20

Postby gussiu » Mon 20 Oct, 2014 5:30 pm

I would so love to see a Barrett REC7 in 7.62 NATO with a 20 inch barrel.

Return to “REC7”