Rec 7 DI 6.8 accuracy question

Piston Operated Carbine

Moderators: Barrett Forum, Samurai, Barrett

jkarlfisch
Favorite Firearm: Rec 7 DI 6.8 SPC
Favorite Ammo: Hornady

Rec 7 DI 6.8 accuracy question

Postby jkarlfisch » Sun 12 Feb, 2017 12:29 pm

I bought a Rec7 DI 6.8 about 6 months ago. Had to wait a while due to it being a backorder, but it is indeed a beautiful gun and operates flawlessly. I've been range shooting it at least 2 to 3 times a month since I got it. The only issue I've had is the inability to shoot good consistent groups with it, using a variety of ammo. 1 to 2" groups at 50 yards, and 2 to 4" groups at 100 are about the best I can do (200 yards is usually around 4 to 6" groups on a good day). Honestly, the expensive Barrett ammo does give me the tightest groups over the Hornady and S&B varieties but still not close to the 1 MOA or better @100 I was expecting from its match grade SS barrel. I broke in mine using the slow methodical classic method (1 shot, clean X 5, 2 shots, clean X 5, 3 shots, clean X 5, 5 shots, clean X 5, etc), push strokes only. Looking at the crown and the barrel after a cleaning, it looks flawlessly smooth and shiny, and fouls very little with normal firing (30 to 40 rds per session) and cleans up easily with little copper build up. I shoot bench rest at a local rifle range @50, 100, 200, 300yrds, bags front and rear, use a hard hold with my left hand pushing back the stock into my shoulder, and a slow light trigger pull - there is remarkably very little recoil, on par with my other 2 rifles in 5.56. Make no mistake, I love this rifle in all other respects, but wondering if I'm doing something wrong, need to adjust my firing techniques, try a different ammo that others have found to be more accurate, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
RangeRat
NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Carry Permit: yes

Re: Rec 7 DI 6.8 accuracy question

Postby RangeRat » Fri 05 May, 2017 9:02 am

I had the same issue with all of my 6.8 SPC's. I was finally able to get all three to sub MOA by reloading and the loads are not even close to one another.
Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.
RangeRat
NRA Member: yes
Military: yes
Carry Permit: yes

Re: Rec 7 DI 6.8 accuracy question

Postby RangeRat » Thu 22 Jun, 2017 10:55 am

Right now it seemd I am getting the best accuracy from factory ammo from the Seller-Belliot. http://www.sellierbellot.us/products/view-product?id=211
Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.

Return to “REC7”